Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Vegetable and Beef Soup

Well again today it is raining and damp outside so I have decided to make home made soup and home made buns for supper it is just that kind of day.  Well this morning there was no skunk in the trap so maybe I have gotten the little buggers.  Two days and two skunks later and the trap is empty, which is good I will leave it for a couple more days and hopefully that will have it for this year.


Now this soup can be made either on the stove or in a crock pot I have done it both ways.  If you do it on the stove keep it at a low temperature and you may have to add a little water.  Of course on the stove it does not take as long a time as in the crock pot.  You can add any kind of vegetables I use this recipe as a base and add anything I want to it peas, rice, or noodles are good.  I do not add the rice or noodles together just substitute one for the other.
Vegetable and Beef Soup

1 lb ground beef
5 cups water
2 beef bouillon cubes
2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 clove garlic diced (optional I do not use it)
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp parsley flakes
a sprinkle of thyme
1 (28 oz) can of tomatoes
1/4 cup rice
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup carrots
                     celery (I put in a tsp of celery seeds)
cubed potatoes
corn
                     shredded cabbage (optional I don't use it)
Brown ground beef and onion.  Drain off the fat, combine all ingredients in a crock pot or big soup pot and simmer for 1 hour on stove or 4 hours in crock pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment