Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Chocolate Shortbread

As with every time I diet I seem to want to cook a lot and of course it's always something bad.  This year I only have to lose twenty pounds to get back to pre-winter weight.  Cooking like this is so going to delay the weight loss.  I found this recipe in one of my mothers old cookbooks.  My kids love, love, love chocolate, so I am going to try this tomorrow while they are at school and have a surprise when they get home.  Lets see how it goes.

Chocolate Shortbread


1 cup butter
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup icing sugar 
1/4 cup cocoa
2 - 2 1/2 cups flour 
2 tbsp milk 


Now I only use 2 cups of flour and use the extra 1/2 cup to help me roll them out.  Mix all ingredients together until it is to stiff to work with a wooden spoon.

Combine all ingredients (you will need to get your hands in there) until well mixed and it forms a dough. Spread the dough out, and flatten as much as possible – use a rolling pin to make it nice and flat if needed, but you may have to flour it a little so it doesn’t stick to the dough. With your hands form the flattened dough so that it is somewhat square in shape. Prick the dough all over with a fork.  Cut with a pizza cutter and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.  You can make these with cookie cutters, but that would not be easy would it.  Another thing you can do is top each cookie with a chocolate chip, my kids like them that way.   Bake in preheated 325 degrees F oven for about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment