Sunday, May 29, 2011

No Fail - Pie Crust

Don't worry about over kneading this dough, it seems to always turn out light and fluffy.  This is one of the staples of my baking recipes.  I don't know what I would do if I ever lost it.
No Fail Pie Crust

2 cups of flour
1 tsp white sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup lard
1/3 cup cold water
1 egg yolk
1 tsp white vinegar

Directions

In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Cut in the lard until mixture resembles coarse meal.

In a separate bowl, whisk together water, egg yolk, and vinegar.  Stir into the dry ingredients and then knead dough briefly just until it is smooth.  Allow to rest about 20 minutes before rolling.  I put it in the refrigerator because pastry is always easier to roll when it is chilled.  Can be stored up to one week in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment