Saturday, May 14, 2011

Really Easy Welsh Cakes - My spin

Ok so here is what I made the chillin's for breakfast this morning, lets just say there is nothing left.  The loved them.  So my kids don't like currants or raisins so instead I put chocolate chips  and some vanilla.  I will post my original recipe and the one I doctored.  All I added extra was the chocolate chips and vanilla.  Instead of frying them on the stove top.  I put mine on a cookie sheet with parchment paper on it and placed it in the oven at 350 for 10-12 minutes.  I hate cooking pancakes and being stuck to the stove so I opted for the oven method, they were awesome.  You know after I made these, they would be awesome plain with strawberries mixed with sugar and whipped cream on them, sort of a strawberry shortcake.  The other way these would be good is with blueberries in them or apple chunks and 2 tsp of cinnamon the possibilities are endless.


Really Easy Welsh Cakes


 

2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup raisins or currants or chocolate chips
2 eggs mixed with a small amount of milk
2 tsp vanilla

Mix the dry ingredients, then cut in shortening with a pastry blender. Add raisins, blueberries, chocolate chips.. Beat eggs and vanilla well and stir into dry mixture, adding in enough milk to make the dough soft. Roll out dough on floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness, and cut with cookie cutters or you can make squares like I did. You can cook them on the stove top like pancakes and turn over only once. I put mine on a cookie sheet with parchment paper on it and placed it in the oven at 350 for 10-12 minutes.  Serve warm with butter.  My kids ate them plain with the chocolate chips you don't need to add anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment