Saturday, April 30, 2011

Souvlaki

I have to admit that Thursday night we had hamburgers and hotdogs for supper, after a day of lugging water from our pool to the upstairs so we could even flush the toilet I had, had enough, so I opted for the easy way out.  I love living in the country but sometimes having a well is not such a good thing.  Because when the power goes out you have no water.  Oh by the way for lunch the chillins had crackin dinner done on a camping stove.  Note to self, do not use propane camping stove in the house the carbon monixide monitors will go off.  Which is a good thing it alerted me to get the kids outside and the stove and to open the windows.

Friday night though I made Souvlakia, or a version of it.  In a large pampered chef stoneware rectangular baker.  I place right on the BBQ grill and then turn the BBQ on so as not to shock the stoneware.  Yes even without power or a stove I can still cook.  I mixed up the meat and let it set all day, I then cleaned and cut up six (6) potatos and mixed them in as well as some green peppers then I placed the whole casserole on the BBQ on medium heat and in 30 minutes supper was ready
 

 

Souvlaki


 
1 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 bay leaves
freshly ground pepper
2 onions
juice of 2 lemons
1 garlic clove crushed
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tblsp oregano
3 green peppers
12-18 small mushrooms
small tomatoes
 
In a large bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, wine, garlic, bay leaves, salt,  and oregano.  Mix well and add the meat, pepper, and onions.  Marinate for up to 24 hours.  Two hours before cooking add the peppers and tomatoes.  BBQ or put under the broiler.  These are just great.

No comments:

Post a Comment